The purpose of the Association of Independent Institutions (A.I.I.) is to promote the education, development and welfare of student-athletes through their various experiences and participation in the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) intercollegiate athletics.
The Association aims to:
- Facilitate effective and active participation in the NAIA legislative process and governance structure;
- Seek equitable opportunities for participation by student-athletes at NAIA independent institutions in NAIA championships, and other educational opportunities for student-athletes;
- Oversee and administer A.I.I. postseason championships competition in sports where NAIA direct qualification berths are at stake;
- Isolate problems common to all independent institutions and organize to study and achieve solutions to these problems;
- Oversee the certification of eligibility for students at independent institutions and provide a mechanism for review of exception requests, violations and appeals; and
- Provide recognition programs for student-athletes from all A.I.I. member institutions.