DRAKE RELAYS WEBSITE
MADISON, S.D. - Dakota State will be sending 13 runners to the 104th Annual Drake Relays on April 24-28, which featured numerous schools from all levels. This is the most participants in DSU track and field program history to compete in the annual premier event.
Below is the list of DSU runners with their events scheduled to run in the Drake Relays:
- Women's 4 x 800-meter relay: Stephanie Warnke, Kayla Sveen, Victoria Sopko, Stephanie Uher (broke new DSU school record with a time of 9:44.43 at the Sioux City Relays)
- Men's 4 x 100-meter relay: D'Artist Williams, Stacey Berg, Mark Moeller, Seth Boomsma (recorded the second fastest time in DSU school record time of 41.96 seconds at the Vance Butler Invitational; qualified for the NAIA Outdoor Track & Field National Championships; recorded a second-place finish at the Sioux City Relays with just .04 seconds short behind first-place NCAA Division I South Dakota)
- Men's Distance Medley relay: Steve Selchert, Mark Moeller, Andy Quenzer, Andy Coy (At the 2012 Drake Relays, DSU finished seventh in the Distance Medley Relay with a time of 10:07.23, the second fastest time in school history. DSU returns two runners from that squad in Andy Coy and Andy Quenzer and adds two freshmen in Steve Selchert and Mark Moeller.)
- Men's 100-meter dash: Seth Boomsma (recently named to A.I.I. Male Athlete of the Week; won two consecutive 100-meter dash title at the Vance Butler Invitational and Sioux City Relays; qualified for the NAIA Outdoor Track & Field National Championships)
- Men's 1500-meter run: Andy Coy (seven-time NAIA All-American in his stellar career at Dakota State; placed fourth at 2012 NAIA Outdoor Track and Field National Championships; qualified for the NAIA Outdoor Track and Field National Championships - his fourth straight year)
- Half-Marathon Road run: Nic Penning (captured the Midland Half-Marathon last December; qualified for the NAIA Outdoor Track and Field National Championships for his second consecutive year in the men's marathon)
- Men's 3000-meter steeplechase: Matt Fideler (DSU Track and Field student assistant coach; qualified for the 2012 NAIA Outdoor Track and Field National Championships; currently holds DSU school record time of 9:11.41 in 2012)
"It is very exciting for DSU track and field to be taking this large contingent of athletes to Drake Relays," stated DSU's assistant track and field coach Anthony Drealan. "The competition at the Drake Relays is a national level competition with schools from all NCAA Divisions. Drake Relays gives our athletes the opportunity to qualify for nationals or improve their national qualifying times and test themselves against competition that will be similar at the NAIA National Outdoor Track and Field Championships."
The heat sheets for the Drake Relays will be announced early next week.
Nick Huntimer, Dakota State University Sports Information Director