News Photo
Football - Thu, Oct. 3, 2013

October 3, 2013

THIS WEEK:  The Dakota State University (1-4 overall record) and Dakota Wesleyan University (2-2) continues their long-time football rivalry on Saturday night.  The 66th meeting between DSU and DWU is slated to start at 7 p.m. at the Trojan Field.  Saturday's game marks the second straight game that the Trojans had face a member of the Great Plains Athletic Conference (GPAC).

THE SERIES:  Dakota Wesleyan currently owns the series record with 35 victories, while the Trojans recorded 30 victories.  There was one game that both DSU and DWU ended up knotted by the score of 26-26 in the year of 1959.  The Tigers won the last two meetings from the Trojans, including a 40-14 victory in Mitchell on Sept. 1, 2012.  The last time Dakota State defeated DWU was in 2004 by the score of 21-20 in Mitchell.  The series began in 1908 and both teams used to be members in the South Dakota Intercollegiate Conference (SDIC).  The longest winning streak in the series are currently held by the Trojans with eight straight victories over DWU from 1977 to 1984.  During that winning streak, the Trojans had posted five shutout victories over the Tigers.

ABOUT DAKOTA WESLEYAN (S.D.):  Ross Cimpl is in his second year as Dakota Wesleyan head football coach.  He guided the Tigers to their second straight winning season after posting an overall record of 6-4 and 5-4 in the Great Plains Athletic Conference record last season.  Dakota Wesleyan finished the 2012 season tied for fourth in the GPAC standings.  The Tigers are currently 2-2 this season and 2-1 in the GPAC.  DWU opened the season with a 35-20 road loss at Wisconsin-Stout, but bounced back in the winning column with a 56-15 GPAC victory at Briar Cliff (Iowa) in the USD DakotaDome on Sept. 14.  After a 49-42 loss at No. 21 Northwestern (Iowa), Dakota Wesleyan won their season home opener on Sept. 28 with a 28-19 victory over Hastings (Neb.).

LAST TIME OUT:  Dakota State dropped their homecoming game to the nationally-ranked Concordia (Neb.) on Sept. 28.  The No. 20-ranked Bulldogs shut down the Trojans by the score of 24-0.  DWU won their home opener on Sept. 28 in Mitchell as they defeated Hastings (Neb.).  Trailing 13-6 at halftime, the Tigers exploded for 22 points in the third quarter to secure a 28-19 victory over the Broncos.

KING & WALDNER RANK NATIONALLY:  According to the DakStats-NAIA statistical website as of Thursday, Perry King ranks third in the nation in total kick-off returns yards of 406.  He is second in the Trojan Football record book for kick-off return yards with 154 yards versus Peru State (Neb.) on Aug. 31.  Brendon Waldner is 31st in the nation in punt return yards per attempt (8.7 yards).  He is 36th in total punt returns yards with 61. 

RECEIVING & SCORING:  Zach Ely is 22nd in the nation in total scoring (touchdowns) with 36 points.  He is 23rd in the nation in total scoring and 24th in total receiving yards with 350.  Ely ranks 46th in the nation in receiving yards per game (70.0), 49th in scoring touchdowns per game (7.2) and 50th in scoring per game (7.2).  

DSU'S RUSHING OFFENSE:  Dakota State recorded a season-high 57 rushing attempts (125 rushing yards) in a 35-28 victory at Presentation (S.D.) on Sept. 14.  It was the second most rushing attempts in the Trojan Football record book.  The Trojans had over 50 rushing attempts in the last three games, 51 rushing attempts for 159 yards versus Concordia (Neb.) on Sept. 28 and 56 rushing attempts for 129 yards at Valley City State (N.D.) on Sept. 14.  The current record is 68 rushing attempts in a game versus Sioux Falls College in 1971. 

STELLAR TROJAN DEFENSE:  According to the DakStats-NAIA statistical website as of Thursday, Dakota State is 17th in the nation in opponent 4th-down conversion with a percentage rate of 33.3 percent. The Trojans are 21st in the nation in pass defense per game (171.2 yards) and 29th in opponent 3rd-down conversion with a percentage rate of 34.8.  DSU allowed an average of 357.0 yards per game, which is 29th-best in the nation.  The Trojans are 46th in rushing defense per game (185.8 yards).  Preston Powell ranks 15th in the nation in total interceptions with two.  He is 43rd in the nation in interceptions per game with an average of 0.4 interception per game.  Ben Kullos is 42nd in the nation in tackles (all positions) per game with 9.2 average tackles.   DSU is 48th in the nation in opponent first downs with 88.

DSU TEAM LEADERS:  Cole Whisenhunt leads the Trojans' offense with 237 rushing yards (47.4 rushing yards per game) and 101.8 passing yards per game.  He records a completion rate of 52.1 percent.  Zach Ely records 16 catches this season (4.0 receptions per game) and leads the team with 350 receiving yards.  Ben Kullos leads the defense with 46 tackles and averaging 9.2 tackles per game.  Chad John records a quarterback sack for 3.7 yards loss for the Trojans.  Ridge Lindberg and Hank Tolleson each had 0.5 quarterback sack for 1.7 yard loss.  Ronnie Jorgenson had 0.5 sack for a 2.0 yards loss.

FOOTBALL FORECAST:  As of Thursday from weather.com, the weather forecast in Madison, S.D.. calls for a 60 percent chance of showers during the day and 40 percent chance of showers during the night.  Forecast high temperature for Saturday is 46 degrees with an overnight low of 36 degrees.  Wind forecast is from the west-northwest at 15 to 25 miles-per-hour.

DSU FOOTBALL HISTORY LESSON:  Dakota State is in its 94th year of competition.  The Trojans own an all-time record of 270-461-17.  DSU opened their first year of competition in 1908 with an overall record of 4-1-1.  Dakota State is in their first year membership with the newly-formed NAIA's conference—the North Star Athletic Association conference.

WATCH & LISTEN:  Dakota State will be providing a live video streaming and audio broadcast online, available on http://streaming.dsu.edu/Athletics-Live.   Jon Hunter, the Voice of the Trojans, will do the live audio broadcast for DSU Athletics home events this season. The link will be available on www.dsuathletics.com on the 'Live Games' tab above the upcoming events.

STAY CONNECTED:  Stay connected with Dakota State football and athletics all season long on www.dsuathletics.com.  The Trojans are also on Twitter, just log onto www.twitter.com/GoDaSUAthletics.  The Dakota State University Athletics group page can be found on Facebook on https://www.facebook.com/DSUTrojanAthletics.

UP NEXT:  Dakota State returns back to North Star Athletic Association (NSAA) conference action next Saturday, Oct. 12.  The Trojans visit Jamestown (N.D.) at the Rollie Greeno Field.  Kick-off is set for 1 p.m. in Jamestown, N.D.

Nick Huntimer, Dakota State University Sports Information Director

 
 
 
  • Nov. 2 - Football vs Mayville State University - L 20-14 - recap - stats
  • Oct. 26 - Football vs South Dakota School of Mines & Tech. - L 69-25 - recap - stats
  • Oct. 19 - Football vs Briar Cliff University - L 37-31 - recap - stats
  • Oct. 12 - Football vs University of Jamestown - W 31-28 - recap - stats
  • Oct. 5 - Football vs Dakota Wesleyan University - L 23-14 - recap - stats
Recruiting
Alerts
Photos
Facebook
Twitter
RSS
Stats