March 16, 2017
· The Dakota State University (S.D.) Trojan Baseball team (0-6 overall record) is seeking for their first victory of the season.
· The Trojans return back to the Midwest region Sunday afternoon after playing six games in the Tucson (Ariz.) Invitational last week.
· DSU visits Briar Cliff (Iowa) (4-14 overall record) in a non-conference doubleheader Sunday. The first game is slated for 1:30 p.m. with the second game to follow at approximately 4 p.m.
· The baseball doubleheader will be held at Bishop Mueller Field on the campus of Briar Cliff University in Sioux City, Iowa (3303 Rebecca Street).
· The Trojans and Chargers were originally scheduled to play home-and-home series with DSU hosting on Saturday. Due the recent snowstorm, the doubleheader in Madison, S.D. for Saturday has been canceled due unfavorable playing conditions.
FOLLOW THE TROJANS
· Briar Cliff (Iowa) will provide the DakStats live stats/play-by-play of the baseball doubleheader on Sunday afternoon.
· You can also check the DSU Athletics' home page (www.dsuathletics.com) to find the live coverage links of the baseball games.
· Follow the DSU Athletics' Twitter for score updates and recaps (@GoDaSUAthletics). Go to www.twitter.com/GoDaSUAthletics.
NORTH STAR CONFERENCE OPENER
· The North Star Athletic Association Baseball conference officially kicks off on the last weekend of March (March 25-26).
· The Trojans are scheduled to head to La Crosse, Wis. to play a four-game series with Viterbo (Wis.) in both teams' NSAA conference season opener.
· DSU is scheduled to play the first eight North Star conference games on the road, before returning back to Flynn Field for their 16 NSAA conference home games in April.
TUCSON (ARIZ.) INVITATIONAL RECAP
· Dakota State (S.D.) play a total six games in the Tucson (Ariz.) Baseball Invitational last week at Kino Sports Complex, but could not come up with a victory.
· The Trojans fell short in the season opener versus Grand View (Iowa) by the score of 4-2 on March 4. DSU was swept by the Vikings after a 9-0 defeat in the second game.
· Despite with DSU jumping to a 10-0 lead versus Northwestern (Iowa) on March 8, the Red Raiders rallied back for a 26-16 slugfest victory over the Trojans. NWIA also defeated DSU 17-3 on March 11.
· Dakota State dropped a pair of games against NCAA Division II and Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC). The Trojans lost to St. Cloud State (Minn.)—coached by former DSU's baseball head coach Pat Dolan from 2002-07—on March 11 and Southwest Minnesota State on March 12.
· Dyshawn Proudlove led the Trojans in both batting average and slugging percentage during the Tucson Invitational. He hit .389 after going 7-of-18 at the plate. Proudlove also had two doubles, two triples and a home run for a slugging percentage of .889.
· Three other Trojans hit above .300, with Boyd batting .381 (8-of-21). Smith Kemper was 6-of-19 at the plate for a batting average of .316. David Kirby added five hits in 16 at-bats (.313 batting average).
· Boyd recorded an on-base percentage of .409 for the Trojans in the Tucson Invitational. Nagel also registered an on-base percentage of .400.
· Kirby led the Trojans' pitching with an earned run average of 4.50 after tossing a total of eight innings, giving up 11 runs (7 unearned) on 14 hits.
· Justin Mettling struck out a total of seven batters on the pitching mound for Dakota State.
· Garrett Mullins led DSU's defense with 21 putouts. Kemper had 10 assists, defensively.
DSU IN THE RANKS
· According to the DakStats-NAIA statistical website as of Wednesday, Dakota State (S.D.) ranks sixth in the nation in triples per game. The Trojans average 0.7 triples per game (4 total triples this season).
· Proudlove also ranks eighth in the NAIA in slugging percentage of .889. He is 41st in the nation in total bases per game with an average of 2.7.
· Jalen Boyd averages 0.5 doubles per game for the Trojans, which is 14th-best in the nation.
TROJANS' SEASON HIGHS
· Dakota State (S.D.) hit season highs, despite dropping a slugfest with Northwestern (Iowa) in Tucson, Ariz. on March 8.
· The Trojans scored its most runs this season with 16 runs. DSU also recorded its best batting average of the season with .513, recording a season-high 20 hits in 39 at-bats.
DSU TEAM LEADERS
· Hits: Jalen Boyd—8 hits
· Batting Average: Dyshawn Proudlove—.389 (7-of-18)
· Slugging Percentage: Dyshawn Proudlove—.889 (2 doubles, 2 triples, 1 home run)
· Doubles: Jalen Boyd—3 doubles
· Triples: Dyshawn Proudlove—2 triples
· Home runs: Dyshawn Proudlove—1 home run
· Runs Batted In (RBIs): Connor Nagel—5 RBIs
· Walks: Connor Nagel—3 walks
· Stolen Bases: Andrew Hesse—2 stolen bases
· On-base percentage: Jalen Boyd—.409 on-base percentage
· Earned Run Average (ERA): David Kirby—4.50 ERA (4 earned runs in 8 innings)
· Pitching Wins: N/A
· Saves: N/A
· Innings Pitched: David Kirby—8 innings
· Pitching Opponent Batting Average: Trey Randel—.348 opponents' batting average
FOLLOW TROJAN BASEBALL
· Twitter: @GoDaSUAthletics
· Facebook: DSUTrojanAthletics
· Instagram: dsu_athletics
· DSU Baseball Twitter: @BaseballDSU
· DSU Baseball Facebook: @Dakota-State-Trojan-Baseball
Nick Huntimer, Dakota State University Sports Information Director