dsu athletics news
- Baseball News
- Cross Country News
- Football News
- Men's Basketball News
- Softball News
- Track News
- Volleyball News
- Women's Basketball News
dsu athletics pages
Trojan Football shatters eight new records in 2012
November 30, 2012
MADISON, S.D. – The Dakota State University football team shattered team and individual records during the 2012 season. The Trojans broke eight new records in the DSU Football record book.
DSU produced a new team record of 255 first-downs. The old mark was 184 first-downs set in 2011.
The Trojans set three new team passing records. Dakota State accumulated a total of 239 passing completions, which the old record mark was set in 2011 with 229 passing completions. DSU broke an old team record of 2837 passing yards set in 1999 with a new record of 3022 passing yards in 2012. The Trojans racked up a total of 4115 total offense yards (previously set in 1999 with 3958 total offense yards).
Dakota tied a team record for most passing attempts in a single season with 408 (also set in 2010).
Senior DSU quarterback Brandon Large (Mesa, Ariz.), Association of Independent Institutions (A.I.I.) Offense Most Valuable Player, had set two new individual records in the Trojan Football record book. He set a new record in most passing completions in a single season with 234 (he previously set the record in 2011 with 228 passing completions). Large amassed a total of 2883 passing yards, which was previously set by Justin Thielke with 2501 passing yards in 1999. In addition, he broke his previous old mark in total offense yards with 2946 yards (2512 total offense yards in 2011).
Eric Liles, senior linebacker from Queen Creek, Ariz., recorded a new school record of 127 tackles in 2012. The old school record was set by Max Hodgen with 119 in 1994.
Other school records listed in the Trojan Football record book are:
- 30 first-downs (tied for 2nd most first-downs in a single game) at Briar Cliff (Iowa) 10-13-12
- 401 passing attempts – Brandon Large (2nd most passing attempts in a single season)
- 20 passing touchdowns – Brandon Large (2nd most passing touchdowns in a single season)
- 30 passing completions – Brandon Large (tied for 2nd most passing completions in a single game) versus Concordia (Neb.) 9-29-12
- 22 tackles – Eric Liles (2nd most tackles in a single game) versus Mayville State (N.D.) 11-3-12
- 117 tackles – Craig Hertz (3rd most tackles in a single season)
Nick Huntimer, Dakota State University Sports Information Director